Written and Copyright © Cherie
This is my own creation, any similarities to other
tutorials is purely coincidental and unintentional.
Drag the Arrow to mark your progress
Make a folder in your PSP folders in All lessons under baby bee and title it selections.
In this lesson we will talk briefly about the selection tools. You will use these a lot in your projects.
Were going to work with the magic wand first. Right click on the picture below and save it to you computer then open it up in PSP.
1. Notice when you pull it up that it has a white background I did this to make it easier for this tutorial later on you will work with this tool more detailed. Your going to learn more in detail about layers later on in future lessons but we have to prep this image so we can work on it so were going to do a mini lesson on converting our images.
A.) When you save the image above your going to save it as a jpeg. It should be listed within your save type options.
B.) When the image is opened in PSP it will come up as a background that can't be altered correctly so we need to fix that so we can play.
C.) So we need to convert the image into a layer so we can alter it.
D.) To do this right click on the word background under the box on the far right side that says "layers". See example:
E.) Right click on the word background and a box will open up. Click on "Promote Background Layer"
OKAY YOUR ALL SET LET'S ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
2. Click on your magic wand and make sure your settings are like mine.
3. Take your magic wand in click anywhere in the white background of your image. Notice the dots we call those marching ants. Your magic wand selected all the white that is not closed off by another colors. See second example of the white that was not chosen.
4. Now on your keyboard hit your delete key notice that the white went poof. Yours should look like mine now: With the white background gone your background has become transparent.
You will use these tool over and over again and will learn in future lessons how to use it. For now I just want you to know were it is and at least one of the effects of it.
ASSIGNMENT SEND IN A SCREEN SHOT LIKE MINE WITH NO WHITE BACKGROUND.
5. Now go up to selections and select none.
1. On the same image with the new transparent background you just made lets play around with the selections tool on that image.
2. Look up at the preset tool bar and you will see were it says selection type. You can choose many type of shapes for this tool. It acts the same as the magic wand but instead of choosing one pixel color at a time you can choose an area that you want to effect.
3. It should default on the Rectangle but if it doesn't choose that on the drop down box.
4. Now lets eliminate one of the bees. As you can see I drew my box around my bee.
5. It will show up with marching ants around whatever you want to select. Hit your delete key on your keyboard and the bee is now been cut like so:
Again like above there are many more lessons involving this tool. You will learn other effects with it as you go. So not to overwhelm you with to much information will stop here with just the basics of it.
6. Go to selections and select none.
ASSIGNMENT: SEND IN ANOTHER SCREEN SHOT LIKE THE ONE ABOVE WITH NOT ONLY THE BACKGROUND GONE BUT NOW WITH A BEE DELETED AS WELL.
Lasso Tool also known as the Freehand tool
1. Were still working off the same image as above with all the changes on it as we go.
2. So this time click on your lasso tool .
3. Look at the settings that I have and make yours like mine.
4. Enlarge your image so you can see more details of it. Refer to pan/zoom lesson if you need a refresher on that.
5. I picked the what portion that was not removed before by the magic wand.
6. Take your lasso and with the selection tool on free hand hold down your left mouse button and outline the portion your want to erase like below: Don't let go of that mouse button until your finished with your outline.
7. Click your delete key on your keyboard and now the section you just did has a transparent background like so:
ASSIGNMENT TAKE A SCREEN SHOT OF YOURS AND MAKE IT ZOOMED IN.
8. Select None
9. Now let's play with the lasso's selection type.
10. From the preset tool bar scroll down on the selection type and choose "Point to Point".
11. Now click on your starting point I choose the second white portion above the flag. When you click on it you will notice a line you do not have to hold your mouse button down click once then drag it over to where you want to stop. Then click. Then drag it again to your next spot. Do this until you go all the around to your beginning spot. When you reach that beginning spot left click on your mouse and then right click to get the marching ants. Mind looks like this:
12. Once again hit your delete key.
ASSIGNMENT TAKE A SCREEN SHOT OF THE ONE YOU JUST DID AND SEND IT IN.
13. Select none.
Now on the last loop of the flag choose which one you would like to use. Play around with the smart edge or the edge seeker if you would like to see how they work. Delete the last white portion of the flag.
ASSIGNMENT: SEND IN THE ENTIRE IMAGE WITH ALL THE WHITE DELETED FROM THE LAST LOOP OF THE FLAG.
RECAP ON ASSIGNMENT:
1. SEND IN A SCREEN SHOT LIKE MINE WITH NO WHITE BACKGROUND
2. SEND IN ANOTHER SCREEN SHOT LIKE THE ONE ABOVE WITH NOT ONLY THE BACKGROUND GONE BUT NOW WITH A BEE DELETED AS WELL.
3. TAKE A SCREEN SHOT OF YOUR FIRST LOOP YOU CUT OUT AND MAKE IT ZOOMED IN.
4. TAKE A SCREEN SHOT OF YOUR SECOND LOOP YOU CUT OUT AND MAKE IT ZOOMED IN.
5. TAKE A SCREEN SHOT OF ALL THE LOOPS DELETED, THE BACKGROUND DELETED AND YOUR BEE GONE. THIS WILL BE YOUR FINISHED PRODUCT.
Send in your lesson like so: Baby Bee Selections (name) for credit. Send them to: