How to use Chalk
Written and Copyright © Krissy Baker
This is my own creation, any similarities to other
tutorials is purely coincidental and unintentional.
Lesson Supplies Available Here
Drag the Arrow to mark your progress
We are going to learn how to turn a tube into a creation using chalk, Paint Brushes and your creative side. We are going to start out using this Tube.
For this lesson ... After you learn how these effects are made then you can pick your own tube to use for the creation you would like to send in. But first, please use the tube in the download so you can learn these tools.
1) open a new image 500 by 500
2) flood fill background white
3) copy and past the tube to the center of your project
4) click on your chalk tool
Using these settings
5) click on your white background layer to activate it like this
6) Pick a light blue to start out for your sky and start to chalk in your sky like this
It's going to go behind your tube and your layer pallet will look like this
7) Now that you have the Sky started lets add more color to our sky like this
I like a happy sky so I like to add some pinks and purples into my sky along with some fluffy white clouds
Here's my white for my clouds
These's my dark blue for contrast
8) After you get your sky colors in place your going to right click on your chalk layer and make convert it to a layer.
Since I'm going to be working a lot with layers here I like to rename my layers so I know what Layers I have.
9) Now that I have my layers all named I'm going to add a Gaussian Blue
My Blur's set at 50.00
So I get this result:
10) Now we need to put in our green grass and I see a little pond in there
So my layer pallet looks like this now
Now that we have an idea of where everything should be lets go in and work on it a little more.
11) Lets work on our path first. Grab your chalk tool again activate your pond layer right bellow your tube layer and lets start chalking in our path
12) Right click on your chalked layer and change it to a raster layer, then rename to path
You notice that my tube layer is still on the top. So far everything we have done to our creation has been for background only.
13) Now get your Magic Wand out and click outside your path and invert it (To invert: go to selections/invert)
14) Now we will need our smudge tool with these settings:
I have my size up and my density down some.
15) Now start working your path to make it look as much like the path in the tube as you can like this:
16) Now you can go to selections and select none
17) Click on your tube layer
18) Click on your smudge tool again and lower your density and size both down to 30. Blend the path from the tube in with your path
19) Lets start working on our Pond now. Click on your Paint Brush tool
This is the paint brush I started out with to build my edges of my pond with . I have the size set at 30 and color dark green to start out with.
20) Start out by building your edge to your pond and then building it up a little changing the colors so that you have a little depth in your end results
21) After you have your pond in place start working around your tube building it up and working it in picking different paint brushes and colors. For my tree and bushes I used this one I just changed the color's for the colored bushes and arch.
22) Keep working in your picture until you get it all worked in
23) Now you can work on the details of your project like the grass and flowers you want in your picture
24) Now I felt my picture needed a sun with some more happy little clouds so I went back in with my chalk and created some making sure to add the reflection to my pond
After putting in my clouds on a different layer I added a little bit of blur to them. You will have to work with this so you can get the right amount of blur you like.
25) Now for the finishing touches I added a few small tubes and brushes to my creation to give it life.
Don't forget to add some shadow's to your painting. I added some shadows in my painting process and into the tubes I added.
26) Every beautiful painting needs a beautiful frame so I created my frame
by merging flat and adding boarder.
1) Image/ add boarder 2 color: solid color not in your picture
2) Use magic wand and click inside to get double marching ants.
3) Flood fill with gold
4) Image/ add boarder 4 color: I picked the pink that's in the little girls ribbon in her dress.
5) Image/ add boarder 2 solid color
6) Magic wand and flood fill with gold
7) Image/add boarder 25 white
8) Magic wand it
9) Chalk in the colors you have in your painting
10) Add a blur
11) Add blind effect
13) Add inner bevel
14) Find a paint brush you would like to use and make sure your foreground color is gold pattern
15) Add new raster layer
16) You should still have your marching ants before you add your paint brush to keep it inside your frame. Also make sure you change the size of your brush to fit your frame. Now start placing your paint brush where you would like it.
17) Merge all/flatten
18) Selections / none
19) Image/ add border 2
20) Magic wand it and flood fill with gold
21) Add a bevel to this one
Hugs and Love,
Now you can look over your end results and make sure you have included your water mark and send it into the group for us all to see.
Good luck my Bee's and have fun with this.
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's work.
Send in your lesson like so: Artsy Bee Lesson 13 (Your Name/YahooID) for credit.
Send to :
Please do not copy, tear apart, email or share these lessons without my permission: Thank You for your understanding and respect for the hard work that goes into these lessons
Graphics/Content © 2006 Queen Krissy New-Bee's. All Rights Reserved.